AND THE WINNER IS…
The New Zealand International Wine Show (NZIWS) is Aotearoa’s largest wine competition. Over 2,000 wines from around the world are put to the test by a panel of leading judges, winemakers and Masters of Wine. They do the hard yards and select the best of the best in awarding Gold, Silver and Bronze medals…plus the cream of the crop, the Trophy winners!
Below you’ll find a selection Trophy & Gold medal winners to buy.
- Classic Gisborne Chardonnay - rich & creamy style that'll melt hearts!
- This is the Chardonnay that shot to international stardom in the mid-90s
- Pair this with pork, chicken or other white meat dishes in rich, creamy sauces
- One of the best value for money French Champagnes money can buy
- Recommended in Cuisine magazine's annual Champagne tasting 9 years running!
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020), 4 Stars & Best Buy (Cuisine magazine 2020)
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019)
- Mendoza from Malbec, Argentina
- Full of ripe, juicy, black fruit flavours with a touch of spice - this is what made Mendoza Malbec famous!
- Very reliable Hawke's Bay Syrah by NZ's most awarded winery, Villa Maria
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020), 94/100 & Buy of the Week October 2020 (Bob Campbell MW)
- Silky, supple medium bodied red bursting with dark berries and spice!
- Just the red for a cut of good old Kiwi lamb
- Petite Sirah's the grape. Full bodied red with spicy, sweet dark fruit flavours
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020), 5 Stars, 94/100 (Sam Kim)
- From California, USA (if you like Johnny Q's Caravan Petit Sirah - try this, it's a step up!)
- Produced in Clarksburg, 20 miles east of the world famous Napa Valley where you could easily spend twice this on a similar wine
- They say that half of Cromwell was conceived under the tree in this vineyard!
- 5 Stars, 95/100 & No.1 Ranking (Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review), 5 Stars & No.1 NZ Rose (Cuisine magazine 2020), 5 Stars (Sam Kim), Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020)
- "A ripper of a rosé" (Bob Campbell MW)
- Famous for Pinot Noir - their Rose is just delicious, it's all strawbs and cream!
- 95/100 & Top Rank (Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review) - six of the last eight vintages have scored 95/100 from Bob!
- " A bright, vibrant wine in a classical Rockburn fruit-forward style. Good now but should benefit from bottle age" (Bob Campbell MW)
- Every vintage since 2001 has won Gold or 5 Star, impressive huh?
- Classy Central Pinot - silky, supple with a touch of spice
- Using fruit from East Coast vineyards - Hawke's Bay, Gizzy, Waipara and a splash of Marlborough
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020)
- Classic Kiwi style Pinot Gris - lush stonefruit flavours with a touch of spice and dryish finish
- Pair with white meats like chicken and pork, or spicy Asian cuisine
- Trophy Champion Open Red Wine (NZ Wine of the Year Awards 2019), Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019), Gold medal (NZ Wine of the Year Awards 2019)
- Passionate about Pinot as well as the birds they've named them after - they're Sponsors of the Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust
- Rich and savoury - this little bird poops over plenty of other bigger name Pinot brands
The Real Review – Top Rank
- Tohu (pronounced tor-who) - the world's first Maori owned wine company
- 95/100, Top Value & Top Rank (Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review) No.1 rated Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from 2019 vintage (Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review)
- Listed in the Fines Wines of NZ for 2019, Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019), Gold medal (Sydney Int'l Wine Comp 2020), Gold medal (New World Wine Awards 2020)
The Real Review – Top Value
Bob Campbell MW – 5 Stars
New World Wine Awards Gold