AND THE WINNER IS…
The New Zealand International Wine Show (NZIWS) is Aotearoa’s largest wine competition. Over 2,000 wines from around the world are put to the test by a panel of leading judges, winemakers and Masters of Wine. They do the hard yards and select the best of the best in awarding Gold, Silver and Bronze medals…plus the cream of the crop, the Trophy winners!
Below you’ll find a selection Trophy & Gold medal winners to buy.
- Recommended in Cuisine magazine's annual Champagne tasting six years running!
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020), 4 Stars & Best Buy (Cuisine magazine 2019)
- One of the best value for money French Champagnes money can buy
- Very reliable Hawke's Bay Syrah by NZ's most awarded winery, Villa Maria
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020)
- Silky, supple medium bodied red bursting with dark berries and spice!
- Just the red for a cut of good old Kiwi lamb
- "This beauty is one of the country's greatest Gewürztraminers" (Michael Cooper)
- Listed in the Fines Wines of NZ for 2019 - served to Air NZ's Business Premier
- 5 Stars, 95/100 (Bob Campbell MW), Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020), rated as a "Super Classic" by Michael Cooper
- The perfect match with spicy Asian food
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019), Gold medal & Top 100 (Sydney Int'l Wine Comp 2020)
- 90/100 & Top Value (The Real Review) - "Built to be enjoyed now - sweetness is charming. A crowd-pleaser"
- Rich, lucious, medium to full bodied Shiraz from the Clare Valley in South Australia
- One of the most awarded Shiraz labels from Aussie
- 95/100 & Top Rank (Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review) - six of the last eight vintages have scored 95/100 from Bob!
- " A bright, vibrant wine in a classical Rockburn fruit-forward style. Good now but should benefit from bottle age" (Bob Campbell MW)
- Every vintage since 2001 has won Gold or 5 Star, impressive huh?
- Classy Central Pinot - silky, supple with a touch of spice
The Real Review – Top Rank
- Tohu (pronounced tor-who) - the world's first Maori owned wine company
- 95/100 (Bob Campbell MW), Top Value award (The Real Review), Top Rank award (The Real Review), No.1 rated Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from 2019 vintage
- Listed in the Fines Wines of NZ for 2019 - served to Air NZ's Business Premier, Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019), Gold medal (Sydney Int'l Wine Comp 2020)
- Powerful, aromatic Sauv from vineyard sites in the Awatere Valley, Marlborough
The Real Review – Top Value
Bob Campbell MW – 5 Stars
Fine Wines of New Zealand
Michael Cooper 4 Stars
- Owned by Villa Maria with fruit sourced from the Gimblett Gravels in Hawke's Bay (the benefits of being owned by the big boys!)
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2020)
- "We're incredibly fortunate to source our Merlot fruit from the Omahu Gravels Vineyard in the heart of Hawke's Bay's premium red wine growing region." (Simon, winemaker)
- Perfect for your pork, poultry and pasta dishes
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019)
- There may be a few secrets inside those Waihopai spy bases next door, but the secret's out about Spy Valley's delish Pinot Gris!
- A rich, full bodied, mouth-filing style Pinot Gris
- Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to drink this delicious wine now and pair with white meats and pasta dishes in creamy, garlic sauces!
- Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show), 5 Stars (Sam Kim)
- Made by the guys at Wooing Tree and named after the endangered Cromwell Chafer Beetle
- Soft, supple, juicy Central Otago Pinot
- No need to go digging in the garden for critters, instead pair with a cut of lamb or roast duck
- New label, new look, Peter's gone (the old boys hung up his boots) but it's the same great wine
- Gold medal (Royal Easter Wine Show 2020), Gold medal (NZ Int'l Wine Show 2019), 93/100 (Bob Campbell MW)
- "Subtle sweetness is balanced by fruity acidity to give the wine a pleasing tension. Very good value at this price" (Bob Campbell MW)
- Certified CarboNZero, one of the greenest vineyards in NZ!